Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Recessionista Budget Wine Recommendation


For those of you who read this blog, you know that I became a fan of red wines after my trip to Buenos Aires. My every day drinking wine has been Norton Malbec Reserve, which I purchase at Costco for $12.99 a bottle. It is very smooth and rich with a wonderful slightly berry palate. To make it even better, I never get a hangover after drinking it.


I have know discovered another fabulous wine at Costco, Pillar Box Red from South Australia. It sells for $9.99 a bottle and is a blend of 65% shiraz, 25% cabernet sauvignon and 10% merlot. It is quite drinkable and delicious and as many Australian wines, comes with a no muss no fuss twist off top. The following are the notes from the winemaker:


"Displaying a dark color and a vibrant purple hue, the 2007 Pillar Box Red has bright aromas of blue and dark berry fruit entwined with licorice, spearmint and cigar box complexity. The palate is rich and fleshy, with flavors of fresh blackcurrant and blueberry fruit combined with orange rind, dark chocolate and spicy smoky oak characters. Whilst the tannins are full, the palate is round, soft and well balanced, leading into a lingering harmonious finish."


I highly recommend this wine......you will not be disappointed!

2 comments:

The Kitchen said...

Oh my - thanks so much for the rec! I love the no hangover part!!

Anonymous said...

questions...what is the top cougar hotspot in Alpharetta?